Travel Basketball Information
UpdatedWednesday August 28, 2019 byWRA Editor.
Travel Basketball offers a more competitive environment than the Intramural Program. Players must first try-out and if selected, are assigned to a team by age and skill. Players who have been selected for a team through tryouts must be registered through WRA and pay applicable registration fees.
- Boys: 3rd grade thru 8th grade
- Girls: 4th grade thru 8th grade
- All teams will be playing in the Inter-County Basketball League (ICBA). ICBA has an Age Determining Date/Grade Exception Rule. August 1st, shall be the determining date for the age of the basketball players. Eligibility to participate is based first on the age determining date. The grade of the athlete is not a consideration if the athlete meets the age determining date. An athlete who does not meet the age determining date may qualify under the grade exception rule. In the 8U/3rd Grade through the 13U/8th Grade division, each team is allowed a maximum of three grade exception athletes.
- ICBA permits teams to carry 2 nonresident players. WRA Travel Basketball will consider non-resident players when filling roster spots based on ICBA rules on player movement.
- Travel Teams will be following the ICBA rules & regulations. See ICBA website “Rules” section for further details. http://www.icbabasketball.com.
- Teams will typically practice two times a week from early-mid November through the end of season in early march. Teams will play a 12-14 game schedule, 1-2 games per week from the middle of December through the middle of February. ICBA playoffs will be in late February /Early March. Please consider this commitment before trying out for a team.
- Teams may participate in additional tournaments based on discretion of parents and coaches. (e.g. Thanksgiving, Holiday)
- Registration fees are typically $200 or less. The fees are used to cover costs of gym rental, referees, and ICBA League costs.
- Uniforms are an incremental expense and are typically $150 or less. Teams may/may not choose to use prior season uniforms.
- Registration fees for tournaments may be another incremental expense. These are typically split between each member of the team.
The foundation of any successful program is the strong support of the parents and their willingness to volunteer. Volunteering can be very gratifying and critical to the success of our league.
We currently are seeking volunteers for the following positions:
- Uniform Coordinator
- Equipment Coordinator
- Communications Coordinator
If interested in these positions or helping in general please contact Travel Basketball Chair.
Andrew Wirsul, Travel Basketball Commissioner